Friday, March 09, 2007

March 9: National "Get Over It" Day?

If you didn't know, today is national Get Over It Day. I had never heard of this before, so I thought I'd check it out.

Apparently, this is the day when people all across America decide to finally "get over" those things they've been hanging on to. If you're trying to get over an ex, or an annoying boss, or a female driver who cuts you off on your way to work while doing her makeup so you end up getting stopped at a five-minute stoplight, today is your day to "get over it." If you find yourself always complaining about the same things day after day, now is the time to "get over it."

For example, the news keeps covering Britney Spears while she's trying to get over her crap. So the news needs to "Get over it!" Al Gore keeps complaining about global warming, he needs to “Get Over It!” I keep getting this annoying bill every month that says I need to pay for some mortgage. They need to "GET OVER IT!"

In all seriousness, I don’t see how this is any different than doing a New Year's resolution. They timed it to be about 3 months after New Years, which is about as long as the average person keeps a resolution before going back to old habits. My guess is that soon we’ll have a national “Seriously This Time, I’m Going To Make a CHANGE!” Day, sometime in mid-June.

They’ve tried to make this appealing (and marketable) to a specific demographic by organizing parties throughout the country. So far, there are no parties in Indianapolis yet. They also have a thing where you can submit what you’re “getting over” and they’ll display it on the site. An example:

"My ex boyfriend not telling me he has a seventeen year old child ( until 7 months after we were dating!!!)" -Okay, that would take some getting over.


They also have a ridiculous poem written by the founder. Here it is:


-Poem written by Jeff G., "Get Over It Day" Founder & Creator

As for me, I'm getting over the Pacers. They suck this year, they're not the same team, I don't like watching them play, I'm over it. If you check this site out, let me know what you think. I’m curious.

Get Over It Day website